The Barn in Marne
Originally homesteaded in 1849 this centennial farm has been in the same family for over 160 years which includes six generations. Named the “Elm Terrace Stock Farm” because of the abundance of elm trees in the area, the family farmed to live for the first 100 years. The original homesteader used the local creek to mill his own lumber used in building the barn. Raising cattle, hogs, and chicken while farming corn, wheat, hay, alfalfa and clover the farm was a busy place. After WWII and at the start of the baby boom generation the family started excavating limestone on the property to help the building boom going on in Grand Rapids. It was during this time that farming on this particular farm stopped as the family found it more lucrative to head into full time employment in the Grand Rapids area. The barn became a storage area for the next 60 years and then came time to dismantle it and give it new life. The wood from this barn includes oak, pine, elm and cedar.
A division of the armed forces used the land as a shooting range during WWI.
The Interurban line from Muskegon to Grand Rapids ran across the street from 1902-1928.
The city of Marne was actually named New Berlin until WWI.